Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I understand from my husband, that he's file for divorce,

I understand from my husband, that he's file for divorce, but I've yet to be served the paper. Is it OK for me to do either of the following:1. Take funds from a joint checking account and pay into a credit card account that is only in my name to pay off the balance?2. Take funds from a joint account and transfer them into an account Bly in my name...not o spend, but to keep him from doing so.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your additional questions.

Yes you may take funds from the joint account. While you are married the money in the joint account belongs to both of you. You may use those funds to pay bill and you may move the funds to a separate account. You probably want to do that soon - because he can do so too.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald