Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My step daughter who lives with her father and I turned 18

in August. While I was...
My step daughter who lives with her father and I turned 18 in August. While I was in the hospital and he was at work, she let her maternal grandparents in our home without our consent. The grandparents were told verbally for the past 3 years they cannot enter my house. They entered my home, removed things from home, and also removed my stepdaughter from our home, and our pet cat. My stepdaughter regretted her decision and came home the next morning, but her grandfather told me because she is 18 he can enter my home at anytime he choses. I told him she is not the home owner and without mine or my husbands consent he cannot enter my home, let alone take things out. Do I have a case against him?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I don't know if I should file a case with the police or not. To pursue this further
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If you have informed them that they can not enter your home then they are trespassing when they do so. Your step-daughter does not have the authority to permit people into your home who have been specically informed that they are not permitted.

The best way to make the notification is by writing and for the writing to be sent in a manner where you can prove they received it. This means either certified mail or overnight mail (e.g. FedEx). Overnight mail is often better in these situations because some people will avoid certified mail but will sign for overnight mail.

It may also have a better effect if you have an attorney send the letter because some people will respect the letter more coming from an attorney.

At this point, because you have directed them orally (but not in writing) suing for trespass becomes a more difficult matter to prove.

BUT the fact that they took property from your home is a separate matter and you can pursue that. You may wish to make an inventory of the items taken and file a criminal report for trespass and for the theft of property.

IF you do make a criminal report do not cal and have a patrol officer come to your home. Experience indicates that the patrol officer will try to dissuade you from pursuing the complaint. Instead make an appointment at the local police station and meet with a detective. You will generally have a better result doing so.

BUT moving forward it is important for you to send the letter we discussed above. If you are writing it yourself keep it short and to the point. Try to be a dispassionate as you can be in the letter. Simply state that the letter is confirmation of your previous direction that they are not permitted in your property and if they enter your property again you will pursue your legal remedies.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer