My sister has healthcare directive for my dad, he has been…

My sister has healthcare...

My sister has healthcare directive for my dad, he has been in hospice for a week. My mother has no say in that he wants him to go to a hospital. Even though my sister has the directive, can my mother being married to my dad have a say? He has Alzheimers and hospice is starving him to death, my mother wants him moved to a hospital - what can she do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Central Florida, Volusia County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No we have not contacted an attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

From what I understand my father is being starved, no intravenous feeding, nothing. He basically for a week had little to no food and water. What if anything can be done, is it too late? There are two siblings and my mother that are very upset and want him moved to a hospital

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

If sister has made daughter his healthcare POA while he was competent, then sister is the sole individual who has the legal authority to make decisions about his care, even up to taking actions like removing a feeding tube and giving him pain medication so he can pass if that is what he expressed to her as his wishes.

.

Mother wouldn't have any power to trump what decisions father made about his own care and in appointing sister to carry out those directives.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Barrister, Attorney
thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.