I appeal a case and I just received a dismissal from the…

Customer Question
I appeal a case...

I appeal a case and I just received a dismissal from the court. It says that I did not file my appeal on time. But the plaintiff when they filed the case they never served me because I did not have an attorney. I still don't have an attorney because I cannot afford. Can I appeal this dismissal again in the same superior court or should I file in Supreme court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filled the appeal in july 2017 and I just received a court hearing for 10/13/2017 on 09/18/2017 and again I received dismissal on 09/20/2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was not given a chance to tell the judge that the plaintiff never served me.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/25/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am very sorry to hear this. In O'Keefe v Miller, a california case, the court stated that a general appearance is a waiver of service of process. So if a defendant appears at court that waives service unless they enter a special appearance and challenge defective service by filing a motion to quash service under the Code of Civil Procedure 418.Otherwise the court will not be able to address defects in service.I wish I had better news but I could not locate authority with a different result.Questions? Please post here otherwise kindly rate positively. Thank you!
The plaintiff file a case against me in 2016 but did not serve me. I received in 2017 and filed immediately for an appeal.
The judge should hear the argument and ask the prove of service from the plaintiff.
The problem is that in order to challenge service of process, the defendant would need to bring a motion to quash service at the trial court level. An appeal is only for mistake of law by the judge, not by a party. Most unfortunately.
Under CCP 473 a party can file a motion to set aside a judgment based on mistake, inadvertence etc. That deals with mistakes by a party or attorney versus the judge.
Sample motion herehttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.courts.ca.gov/partners/documents/blankn.o.m.6months.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiY4f-Mob_WAhUDOiYKHUCGDCUQFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNHW8wFRaqJD6At55fT70bYEJ5WyTA
Here is that statute...https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CCP§ionNum=473.I hope this information is helpful!

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer