How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34442
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My estranged husband committed suicide. He left a vehicle

This answer was rated:

My estranged husband committed suicide. He left a vehicle which come to find out I'm the joint owner of. The problem is, that an old debt collector put a lien on the vehicle and pretty much laughed at me when I told them there was no estate. He died completely broke except for his truck which is a 2001, paid in full. Not sure what I can do, the title is lost, and I don't want the truck.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Florida and a 2001
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have his death certificate
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just don't know how to get lein released and what to do next

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Online is fine

My condolences for your loss.

There is actually no legal requirement that you do anything.

You ave no legal obligation to probate an insolvent estate. If you do not care about the truck and the only issue is that there is a lien on it, you do not have to do anything and can use the truce any way you want or not use it.

You can give it to the creditor if you want and let them deal with the lost title.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I just can't sell it correct? Because if I do, then the person who buys it cannot register it?


You can not convey clear title without a release of the lien.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you so much!! Have a good night!!

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!


Loren and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you