Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My landlord claims he contact excel energy to find out if

my landlord claims he contact excel energy to find out if i'm paying my utilities or not without asking me.I didn't give him permission to do it, and the account is under my name/social security. Is he legally allowed to do so?

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

He can call them and ask, but typically they won't release any information about a customer account to anyone who isn't listed on that account. The utility companies used to be a lot more free with that type of information, but with all the privacy laws now on the books, they won't give out that information any more.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it seems like they released that information to him because he know what is going on with our account.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.

Ok, so what is your question about them potentially releasing your info?

Are you asking if it is actionable as in you being able to sue them?

.

Did they release any confidential info like your SSN?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
My question is: can I legal do anything in regards ***** ***** landlord looking into my personal utility account with out my consent?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I do not know if they released any other information other than my billing statements.

Not against your landlord unless he engaged in fraud and identity theft by claiming to be you when he called in..

.

In my experience in dealing with them, they won't release that info to anyone who isn't listed on the account.

.

So either you have a utility company that is very lax on their privacy policies, which is unlikely, or the landlord called in and claimed to be you and asked for info. If he had your SSN on any application and the account number, they would provide that info.

So you might want to contact them and ask them if they have any records of you calling in to request records or if they will acknowledge giving them to the landlord.

.

If he just called and asked and they provided that info, there is nothing improper about that with regard to the landlord as he can ask anyone anything about you. It is up to the person being questioned as to whether or not to respond.

.

But if he said he was you, that is a criminal act of identity theft and he could be in big trouble..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I'm being told I need to get a subpoena to get that information from excel

If they are refusing to provide you information about your own account and whether someone called in claiming to be you, then that is a pretty good indication that is what happened. If you filled out an application to rent with the landlord and gave him SSN, DOB and other info so he could do a background check, then he could have easily called in claiming to be you, or had someone do so..

.

But if they won't answer your questions voluntarily, then unfortunately that is correct, the only way to get that info would be with a court order if you were suing the landlord or if there was a criminal prosecution for identity theft.