Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am considering filing for bankruptcy. I have taken an

i am considering filing for bankruptcy. I have taken an online means test and passed. I have a few questions.First, I am married but the only thing that has both of our names on it is a car. I don't neccessarily want to include the car in the bankruptcy but am I required too?Second, my wife has a significant amount of cash that has been invested into an LLC and rental properties. My name is ***** ***** at all with either. Will she be protected? I don't want her associated with the bankruptcy at all.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can file solo Chapter 7.You decide whether to include the car or not.Solo here makes sense if you are the one that has the debts that need to be discharged.You can file yourself or have a lawyer do so.

Chapter 7 forms

http://www.orb.uscourts.gov/forms

Here’s a list of the forms most people need when they file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Some of these, however, may not apply to your case. For example, if you are not requested a filing fee waiver, you won’t need to fill out Form B 3BA Application for Waiver of Chapter 7 Filing Fee.

B 101 Voluntary Petition for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy

B 101A Initial Statement About an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

B 101B Statement About Payment of an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

B 103A Application for Individuals to Pay the Filing Fee in Installments

B 103B Application to Have Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived

B 106 Summary of Your Assets and Liabilities and Certain Statistical Information

B 106A/B Schedule A/B: Property

B 106C Schedule C: The Property You Claim as Exempt

B 106D Schedule D: Creditors Who Hold Claims Secured by Property

B 106E/F Schedule E/F: Creditors Who Have Unsecured Claims

B 106G Schedule G:Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases

B 106H Schedule H: Your Codebtors

B 106I Schedule I: Your Income

B 106J Schedule J: Your Expenses

B 106J-2 Schedule J-2: Expenses for Separate Household of Debtor 2

B 107 Your Statement of Financial Affairs for individuals Filing Bankruptcy

B 108 Statement of Intention for Individuals Filing Under Chapter 7

B 121 Your Statement About Your Social Security Numbers

B 122A-1 Chapter 7 Statement of Current Monthly Income

B 122A-1 Supp Statement of Exemption from Presumption of Abuse (only if you qualify for an exception to the means test)

B 122A-2 Chapter 7 Means Test Calculation (only if your income is above the state median income)

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can psoitive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
    my wife will not be liable in any way?

No you can legally file solo Chapter 7 it dismisses your solo debts.You decide if you want to include the car.You are able to reaffirm it if you want to keep it.Can exempt one car.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
    Thank you