Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I am trying to determine whether I am at risk for an

I am trying to determine whether I am at risk for an eviction. Two things happened: 1.) I tried to replace the thermostat, not understanding that I was supposed to allow the landlord to do it. A plumber came in, installed a replacement thermostat and examined the furnace. He told me no leakage had taken place as a result of my actions with the thermostat. I told them that the furnace (AC) ran mysteriously on and off for about half a day, but then ceased. Also, I noticed an unusual amount of moisture near a vent in a very small space where moisture was usually present. I thought it was an out vent; I had felt moisture before there. It was actually sucking in air. This time there was more than usual. But I didn't think it was some sort of calamity. 3 or 4 days later, I pulled out the couches later and realized that there had been a substantial leak not caused by me, but rather by the clogged furnace. The landlord was pissed at me for not reporting the extra moisture but God knows how long the water was seeping in, and it wasn't my fault. She asked me to shampoo the carpets twice, and apply baking soda. I did. I told her I didn't think it would work; that there was probably mold, but I obliged. By Thursday I was done. By Friday, the smell persisted. I emailed her twice and called her one to tell her what I had done and that I thought the air might be dangerous. I asked her about remediation. No work. Today I wrote to her again, saying it was urgent, that I have a respiratory condition for which I am being medicated. That was 2.5 hours ago. No word. What would you advise? I am scared. I've been a tenant here for over a year, passed inspection, had my lease renewed, always in good standing. This is an aberration. Insight welcome.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This isn't employment law, it's landlord/tenant law and it's in NJ.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you mean by reported. I know of no legal action being taken by the landlord or that the courts have been involved at all
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I would rather talk to you. I'm at(###) ###-####

Great. I can contact you in approximately 30 minutes from my office phone.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Ok. I am freaking out about this.

thanks again for the call and come back anytime.