Can we as an association, mandate biannual dryer vent

Customer Question
Can we as an...

Can we as an association, mandate biannual dryer vent cleaning?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In Racine wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. The unit owners (quorum at our annual meeting) voted to make the dryer vent cleaning mandatory. But, can we force people to pay for it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not right now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

So you want to know if, after they've agreed to vent cleaning, you can impose a fee for this?

Was a fee discussed during the deliberations?

An approximation of $50 per unit was discussed.

And was this agree-upon by those who were present and voting?

What does the association say about assessing new fees?

We can and have assessed for things in the past....just don't like to do it.

Again, was this agreed-upon by those who were present and voting?

We had an assessment for snow removal after a huge blizzard depleted out snow budget.....that is the only assessment we have had in 10 years. The unit owners all agreed that dryer vent cleaning is for everyone's safety.

That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking you if the fee was agreed-upon by those who voted on the vent cleaning.

And I'm also asking what the association bylaws say about charging fees when the association approves a new service.

"Assessing," in this case, means set the value of cleaning.

sorry, have to review minutes and by-laws for exact details of discussion.......be back with you.
After reviewing our bylaws and discussing issue with another board member, we concluded that it would be best to consider
this as routine maintenance and add it to our budget with no charges to our unit owners. Our minutes clearly stated the anticipated fee, but our bylaws are unclear regarding new fees.
Thank you so much.
Kathleen K.

No problem, Kathleen. Glad to help. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

Thank you in advance!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer