I was issued a ticket in Chicago, county, for passing a stop…

Customer Question
I was issued a...

I was issued a ticket in Chicago, Cook county, for passing a stop sign, in the ticket it showed that I must appear in court on september 11, but as I am a Florida resident I called twice to the special services deparment of the cook court and they told me that appereance in court was not mandatory for this type of violantion. Now I did receive a Notice of bond forfeiture stating that I must appear in court and if I do not appear the result will be Judgment of conviction for the amount of bail and costs, and notice of conviction being sent to the secretary of states office. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois, chicago, cook county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

That they say that I should appear in court, despite the fact that I paid and the special services department of the court told me not to appear

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/24/2017
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If you were given something in writing that says you didn't have to appear, then you should have a right to rely on it. However, if you don't have something in writing, your best option is to call the court and find out what the deal is. IT may be that the letter was issued to you before your payment was received, etc. If so, it may be that you don't need to do anything.

However, if they tell you that you must appear, and that your fine payment is not accepted.....or that you must appear on these charges, etc., you probably need to get a local lawyer to review the paperwork and give you some advice on where all of this stands.