I sold my share of my house in france in 2012 to my exp

Customer Question
I sold my share...

I sold my share of my house in france in 2012 to my exp wife. I did not file a rax return in France. I now received an assesment for franch taxes due via the US ISR. I tried to contact the tax authorities in Foix/Ariege but have not heard. The house was bought in 2001 and I sold my 50% to my ex in 2012. The gain should be negligible as the renovation costs offset the gain on sale. Purchase price was about Euro 200,000 and the sale price Euro 400,000 (of which my share was 50%) My ex wife still owns the house and has all the papers and receipts and so far has feused to give me copies. Your thoughts would and I am looking for local representation on this matter. Kind Regards

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ariege

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No - I only received letters from the Foix tax authroties. the sale of my interest to my wife was registered in France

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 day by:
9/25/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Even if you believe you did not owe taxes on the transaction, you still should have filed a tax form with your proof as to why no taxes should be due on the transaction. At this point, they are going to be seeking late fees on what they estimate you owe, so what you need to do is use an accountant to file with the tax authority with your proof as to why nothing is due (or negotiate to pay what ends up being due to them) and you can get them off your back.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.