I was wondering if i move to another state will my felony go…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if i move to another state will my felony go away if it only a misdemeanor in that state

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Michigan Felonious assault (pointing a gun at some one) and I want to move to gaorgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/24/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

No, unfortunately. Your criminal record will continue to show a Michigan felony conviction.

If the issue arises you can, of course, tell prospective employers, for example, that had the crime occurred in Georgia it would have only been a misdemeanor. And if you were ever in new felony trouble in Georgia, you could argue that it should be treated as your first felony offense, since the crime would have only been considered a misdemeanor in Georgia. But moving to a different state does not erase or reduce an out of state conviction.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.