This is a legal question relating to divorce, death and

Customer Question
insurance policies.Husband and wife were...
This is a legal question relating to divorce, death and insurance policies.Husband and wife were married for 14 years; he took out life insurance policies during that time. They were then divorced. Husband remarried. First wife died. After 53 years of marriage to second wife, husband died, two years after first wife died. Divorce decree says policies went to first wife at time of divorce. Since she is deceased, and since husband's intent was to care for second wife, do the proceeds go to the heirs of first wife?Thank you.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/24/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 10 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Since she is deceased, and since husband's intent was to care for second wife, do the proceeds go to the heirs of first wife?Thank

Response: The answer is yes pursuant to the Divorce Decree . Proceeds go to the estate of the first wife.

Is this the same in every state, or does state law vary?
This case is in California.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Response: Yes, it is .

My research indicates that the handling of a case like this varies state to state, and that California is different from most other states. What would cause the insurance company to release the proceeds to the second wife?

At this time, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.