Every month I am charged 300-400 dollars more than my 1500…

Customer Question
Every month I am...

Every month I am charged 300-400 dollars more than my 1500 dollars rent. They keep saying I'm paying them to pay the electric. This is true but they also told me 100 or so dollars. This month it's 453 extra and I can't pay it. I mean I can but I think something is going on here.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Maryland. I know the laws. I just need to switch to bge for the electric but what is the rest of it about? In the beginning I just paid 1500-1600 with electric included. Something is wrong and I'm being taken for several hundred dollars at a time!

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I don't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And I feel I should be reimbursed for some of it. Management is awfully good at "explaining" finances of course.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/24/2017
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

This month it's 453 extra and I can't pay it. I mean I can but I think something is going on here.

Good morning. I'd like to assist you, but I will need more information. Have you ever been shown an electric bill? Do you have a lease that says that you are to pay the electric bill in addition to your rent? Are you renting a single-family home, a duplex, an apartment in a building?

no I never have and no I'm supposed to switch to bge. This is a two level two bedroom apartment in a building. Even if I'm paying through them it can't be 300-400 a month and it wasn't before.
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 10 months ago

Okay. Thanks for getting back to me. If you are just one apartment out of several in the building, then you should not be charged for electric utility service unless your apartment is separately metered from the others. You should be shown separate electric bills for just your apartment. If the electric service was running a hundred dollars or so a month, then it appears that the landlord might be trying to collect the entire bill for other unit just from you. I would refuse to pay anything more than the base rent until the landlord produces bills to substantiate the charges for your unit only. If he tries to evict you, you can subpoena his records and prove to the court that he was overcharging you. It sounds like switching electric companies is a good idea, but I don't know enough about that aspect to tell you anything more. The important thing is that you get a bill for your apartment only.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.