Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is there a statute of limitations on filing against the

attorney my brother had, who...
Is there a statute of limitations on filing against the attorney my brother had, who has been disbarred for stealing from at least 8- of his clients, but there are 3 or 4 more involved in the thief of my brothers Charity's real estate.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Hi here they are for California

LegalMalpractice - Statute of Limitations for Breach of Contract: Claims against an attorney in acivil lawsuitfor malpractice, pled as a breach of contract, likely are governed byC.C.P.Section 340.6 [Southland MechanicalConstructors Corp. v. Nixen (1981) 119 C.A.3d 417, 431; Levinv. Graham & James (1995) 37C.A.4th 798].

Typicallybreachof verbal (oral) contracts have a 2 year SOL and beach of writtencontracts have a 4year statute of limitations. See article CaliforniaStatute of Limitations. There may becertain instances where the traditional 2 of 4 year breach of contractSOLapply to attorney client causes of action rather than C.C.P. Section340.6.

Legal Malpractice- Statute of Limitations for ActualFraud: CCPSection 340.6 is a statute of limitations addressed specifically toattorneymisconduct “other than for actual fraud.” Thestatute of limitations for fraud is 3 years under CCPSection 338(d).

Read here about extending deadline it can be longer, your lawyer may plead around it..

http://www.christian-attorney.net/legal_malpractice_statute_of_limitations_california.html

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Croucier V. Chavos California Court of Appeal Defines Actual Injury in determining whether to toll the statute of limitations in legal malpractice actions. can you get this case for me to read.
Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer