Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is first offense possession of .2 of cocaine a felony in SC.

Is first offense possession of...
Is first offense possession of .2 of cocaine a felony in SC
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: My grandson was stoped last nite and was arrested for possession of covaine in his wallet. This is South Carolina.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. It was his first offense
9/23/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is for my person info. I just want to know what to expect

While Possession of 1 gram or less is classified as a misdemeanor for a first offense, because it would be punishable by up to 3 years in prison in SC under their dangerous drug laws, it is considered a felony by federal law. This means that while SC calls it a misdemeanor, because the federal law says any offense that is punishable by more than 12 months in jail is a felony, he would be disqualified from possessing a firearm as a convicted felon under federal guidelines.

First offense possession of a minor amount is usually given probation if he has no other record and the prosecutor could agree to pretrial diversion, meaning he would pay a fine, go to substance abuse classes and be on probation and if he successfully completes everything they would dismiss the charges. He would need a local attorney to represent him and negotiate such a deal for him.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney