Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I signed a contract with a dog breeder without reading it

because I have signed many...
I signed a contract with a dog breeder without reading it because I have signed many contracts and they are usually the same. However when I got home I read this one and it said I could not spay my puppy without the breeders permission and I had to do dog shows and if I couldn't then I had to hire someone to do them for me. I told her in the beginning I only wanted a companion/therapy dog. So is there anyway to get out of this contract?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CALIFORNIA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just with AKC and that is now in my name and also the microchip which she installed is now transferred to my name.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much would it cost if a lawyer wrote a letter to her asking what I could do to get out of the contract. For instance more money?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

What is the penalty for spaying without consent?

Is there any way to claim the breeder is in default?

If I don't do the things she has in the contract such as not spaying and not showing then she has the right to take the dog back. This is my big anxiety.
I live on Social Security and I am deep in debt and can't afford to many charges. I put the cost of my dog, $2500.00 on my Mastercard.
If it is a one time charge and you really think you can help me then I guess I could do that.
The Phone number is my home number. My cell phone battery is dead.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, such a provision is valid and enforceable. Though, I am not sure how they would find out if you went ahead and did spay them.

Otherwise, I recommend you seek the consent if you want the dog spayed. You could offer extra consideration to obtain the consent. If you do reach a settlement, make sure you get the consent in writing. That is very important for it to be enforceable.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want to see you spinning your wheels on this or losing the dog.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Taking her to dog shows and obtaining her championship is more important to her than anything. If she gets her championship then I would have to breed her. I can not show her once she has been spayed.And I do not want to breed her. All I could do is hope that she is not show worthy but I would have to travel to shows around the country to try for her championship.
Thank you for "talking " to me anyway.

You are very welcome. Good luck with this and thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney