Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My grown daughter has been living with us rent-free for nine

months. She is now using...
My grown daughter has been living with us rent-free for nine months. She is now using meth, has stolen a lot of money from us through forging checks, and I do not feel safe with her here. I'm going to try for a restraining order on Monday but I want to write an eviction notice now. Can you tell me anything about the amount of notice required in such a situation (in Oregon)?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oregon. She was arrested for the check fraud yesterday and was released on "general release" last night.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, it's the weekend! I
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The sheriff's office told me that the only ways I can get her out are through an eviction notice that will take 6-8 weeks or a restraining order. But when I started looking up tenant law it looks as if I can give her shorter notice than 30 days, so I'm confused. Thank you!
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can try for a restraining order here but to evict you have to give 30 days written notice and then file eviction suit.She was a guest so month to month since she did not have lease or other rental agreement.

Here are forms use the 30 day version.

http://www.simplifyem.com/forms/oregon-notice-to-quit

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.If you can get a court order here you can do this quicker, see if thats possible.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and good luck here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. I will start the 30-day notice process and also try for restraining order on Monday.

You are so welcome.Good luck here.Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer