INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

Just found out my mortgage co. never paid my taxes, they

Hi. Just found out my mortgage co. never paid my taxes, they were due on June 30th.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY. and 5 reps from the company all stated that once they said that, it was on them to do so whether we did the refi with them or not.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: after signing on a ton of documents and being told our refi was a done deal, we got a call on Wednesday saying the underwriter changed his mind.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that I had told the loan officer that the taxes were due, I was going to pay them and he told me not to. His exact words, on a recorded line,,, we got it. now I am stuck as another tax bill is due Sept. 3oth
There is no basis to contest your position, which apparently is simply being pursued in bad faith against facts and law.If the company will not pay the tax you can pursue a claim against it.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you very much & have a great day. I should also have added that they have held our mortgage for years & they initiated the refi, we never called them. They called us to offer a lower rate. Really has put us in a jam as we pay $17,000 a year and $10,000 is now due in 1 week!!
Very welcome. You can pursue a claim as outlined above.Kindly rate me five stars.