Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have filed a show cause of action suit against my ex wife

as she has not done...
I have filed a show cause of action suit against my ex wife as she has not done anything ordered by the judge on Feb 22nd. We both were given 20 days to complete certain actions. i.e. I got her off of all liabilities for a company and business I own and a building she was removed as the primary personal guarantor. She was the primary guarantee of two leases as well that I was able to get her removed from. She Was supposed to sign over her shares of the building to me which she hasn't done so because doing the entire 3 year process she had agreed to one thing "Custody" took 1 hour to agree to. Her boyfriend will not allow her to agree to anything so she she lies to her attorneys and says she has paid items which we found she didn't. Long story short the abusive litigation is so to of hand that she funded her boyfriend two lawsuits against me for assault which never occurred. they were both dropped because the charges were made up. But, I spent $30,000 on these two cases alone. It is her desire to bankrupt me when she has $5 million in the bank from a business I took over from her family and grew it and sold it from a $5 million dollar purchase to a $30.5 million dollar purchase. Since the boyfriend has entered the picture my legal fees have sky rocketed and her attorneys take forever and nit pick every small detail to drive my legal bills up as high as they can. It abuse in the worst form. My case was assigned Friday to a Majistrate instead of a judge and I don't know why. Can a majistrate award attorneys fees for 31 counts of contempt? We have in our custody agreement that the other side pays legal fees if they are on the losing side of any litigation. I feel my attorney does not want to pursue this because the opposing council's wife is a judge. I just want to be certain that I am going to be considered for being awarded attorneys fees for abusing the process.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My attorney won't give me a straight answer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it reasonable to argue a 3rd party has inserted himself into this divorce and has cost both sides money but for me its just about bankrupted me. He is constantly not allow her to agree to anything and they switch entire agreements after we spend LONG periods of time negotiating trivial matters that have already been decided. Or is this a separate case I would need to file?
9/23/2017
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
On review of your facts, you have a good case. You can pursue a motion for relief. You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available. You may also file a separate action. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
I forgot to mention I have been hospitalized 3 times from stress related illnesses. I was septic which was the most serious of the illnesses I had. I don’t handle stress well when everything of mine has either been vandalized by her boyfriend or destroyed. Would my
Attorney be able to put punitive damages in for real illnesses and the long term affects such as memory loss and continued stress because of my financial burdens
court may grant it too!
Settlement is often the outcome
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
thank you
Thanks!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney