I work for a psychiatrist is at a HIPPA violation to have…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a psychiatrist is at a HIPPA violation to have your cell phone out and texting or just looking looking at their phones

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No but there was a memo sent out by the doctor to not have our phones out at any time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/23/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

It is not a HIPAA violation, in and of itself, to have a cellphone out at work, so long as it is not recording or transmitting confidential healthcare information.

However, while the statute does not specifically prohibit your cellphone usage at work, the employer is free to implement policies to protect the patient's confidential information. So, if the employer feels a need to implement such a policy, it is not illegal.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney