In a divorce the house and land is in one persons parents…

In a divorce the...

In a divorce the house and land is in one persons parents name but the loan is in the couples name with the same parents as cosigner what would be the out come

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina it is family land

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My parents on house and land would I have give her any money For house

9/23/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Are you online with me?

Ik
Ok

Typically, when one spouse is on title and both are on the loan, if the property was to remain in the name of titled spouse, the court would give them a certain amount of time to refinance in their own name, while meeting the current obligation themself.

If they did not refinance within the allotted time then they would be in contempt of court and subject to sanction.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Property is in my parents name. Loan is in our name with my parents as cosiner

The property is not marital if it is titled in your parents' names.

The court will likely require refinancing to release the non possessory ex spouse from liability.

Would I have to give her any money

Probably not. It is not titled to you or her.

Thanks a lot u were a big help

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney