Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was affected by hurricane Irma. We have not had electric

for 16 days. The apartment...
I was affected by hurricane Irma. We have not had electric for 16 days. The apartment complex where I live has 27 building of which 3-4 are without power. A few are using generators, but the rest of us have absolutely no power. They have another property a few miles away that has open vacancies and also on property they have open vacancies that all have power. I'm wondering if having no power for this long is a violation of lease if they are not doing anything to help the situation? I understand it's not their fault since the power loss is due a damaged power line underground due to a natural disaster, but it also not our fault as tenents either. It's is causing most Genentech of this building to seek residence else where until this is fixed. I asked for a break in rent or financial compensation, but they said they are not providing that. They said we would need to contact FEMA. I have applied. I put in application 14 days ago. But, haven't heard back yet. Is there is anything we can do to get out of the lease and find a home with electric?
9/23/2017
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your landlord tenant question today.

In the US landlords do have an obligation to keep a property in a tenable and habitable condition.

Because you've been without power for 2-3 weeks you be entitled to withhold an amount of rent corresponding to the detriment that you have suffered from having no electric the past weeks.

The matter is made more complicated as it was caused by the hurricane , known as a force majeure in legal terms. This may in some circumstances excuse the landlord from his failure to keep your accommodation in a habitable condition. That said he does need do get a hold on the situation as it has been 16 days.

If you are looking to terminate the lease you need to send the landlord a written statement and demand outlining his failure to provide basic utilities , your intention to withhold rent and terminate the lease for his failure to meet his landlord obligations.

Your lease may have provided for a circumstance ;such as this, known as a force majeure , if you went to send through a copy for an extra review service just let me know.

We are here to help.

So please follow up with me as required.

In return click the rate expert now icon; leaving a positive rating gives me a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today before your exit.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have attachted the lease so you may review it. After reviewing your response, I'm understand that if we write a letter with intent to hold rent and explain their violation, then we would released from the lease as long there is not anything in the lease preventing us to do so?

That's correct the landlord's failure to comply with the statute should you give you a right to terminate.

I will need to review your lease and make an offer available now.

Your written notice of termination should comply with the following statute:

"3.56 Termination of rental agreement.—

(1) If the landlord materially fails to comply with s. 83.51(1) or material provisions of the rental agreement within 7 days after delivery of written notice by the tenant specifying the noncompliance and indicating the intention of the tenant to terminate the rental agreement by reason thereof, the tenant may terminate the rental agreement. If the failure to comply with s.83.51(1) or material provisions of the rental agreement is due to causes beyond the control of the landlord and the landlord has made and continues to make every reasonable effort to correct the failure to comply, the rental agreement may be terminated or altered by the parties, as follows:

(a) If the landlord’s failure to comply renders the dwelling unit untenantable and the tenant vacates, the tenant shall not be liable for rent during the period the dwelling unit remains uninhabitable.

(b) If the landlord’s failure to comply does not render the dwelling unit untenantable and the tenant remains in occupancy, the rent for the period of noncompliance shall be reduced by an amount in proportion to the loss of rental value caused by the noncompliance.

(2) If the tenant materially fails to comply with s. 83.52 or material provisions of the rental agreement, other than a failure to pay rent, or reasonable rules or regulations, the landlord may:

(a) If such noncompliance is of a nature that the tenant should not be given an opportunity to cure it or if the noncompliance constitutes a subsequent or continuing noncompliance within 12 months of a written warning by the landlord of a similar violation, deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the noncompliance and the landlord’s intent to terminate the rental agreement by reason thereof. Examples of noncompliance which are of a nature that the tenant should not be given an opportunity to cure include, but are not limited to, destruction, damage, or misuse of the landlord’s or other tenants’ property by intentional act or a subsequent or continued unreasonable disturbance. In such event, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement, and the tenant shall have 7 days from the date that the notice is delivered to vacate the premises. The notice shall be in substantially the following form:"

Please accept my offer to proceed.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer