I've recently learned that my ex husband pawned tools worth…

Customer Question
Hi. I've recently learned...

Hi. I've recently learned that my ex husband pawned tools worth several thousand of dollars, which he has not paid off with the company, he got if from. They sent the police to his now ex fiancé, who told me all about it. He admitted everything yesterday to me. What is going to happen to him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

In Texas, a few months ago I guess

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Well, his ex fiancé gave the detective the names of the pawn places and they told her they would do an inventory of where everything is at and then go after him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NO, thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/23/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Under Texas theft / larceny law, offenders may receive charges varying from a "Class C" misdemeanor for the most minor of thefts, all the way up to a first degree felony for the most serious.

The following guidelines are generally set for varying degrees of theft based on the amount or value of property taken:

• "Class C" misdemeanor: $50 or less
  • "Class B" misdemeanor: $50 or more, but less than $500
  • "Class A" misdemeanor: $500 or more, but less than $1,500
  • State jail felony: $1,500 or more, but less than $20,000
  • Third degree felony: $20,000 or more, but less than $100,000
  • Second degree felony: $100,000 or more, but less than $200,000
  • First degree felony: $200,000 or more

He is looking at a felony here and probably probation and a fine and criminal record if he's lucky.He could get hard time here depending on the facts.They add it all up to see how serious it is here.

He will be arrested eventually and either make bail and hire a lawyer or stays in jail until trial and a court appointed lawyer here.

I appreciate the chance to help sorry you are having to deal with all of this.

Thanks or rating 5 stars.