Had a letter came to me from a attorney. They would not tell…

Customer Question
Had a letter came...

Had a letter came to me from a attorney. They would not tell me anything about debt just wanted money. They file a foreclosurer notice in letter foe debt. Found out it was with Chase went to branch they said they write off in 2006 and told me statute of limitation is past. Lawyer says they have judgement we never received anything by mail til now. Showed letter to Chase said looked not right since it was hand written. Should I seek legal help

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Law firm yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Law firm said they wanted money or they were going to foreclose on debt original was 2900 they want 7900

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/22/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

It certainly sounds like a scam.

Tell the law firm in writing that you demand to see written evidence of the judgment.

I am betting this is not a law firm writing to you, but rather, someone who found the information online and is trying to scam you.

A genuine law firm does not send handwritten letters.

If they can not produce a copy of the judgment and evidence that they represent the creditor then you can report them to the police and then ignore them.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!