Sold my house to a nice couple who included in the offer…

Customer Question
Sold my house to...

Sold my house to a nice couple who included in the offer which we signed a line about having the utility box moved away from the driveway(phone electric and cable). We closed yesterday without moving the boxes because the electric company is dragging their services. What are my liabilities now that the house closed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I have emails from the electric company but no action yet. What if they just tell me that they have decided to not approve the move of the boxes?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/22/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Did they close knowing the box had not been moved?

Did they require any assurances at closing that the box would be moved? Did you sign anything at closing regarding the matter?

No

Thank you for the additional information.

There is something called the doctrine of merger.

It states that any obligations in the contract are merged into the deed and extinguished by the delivery of the deed, unless otherwise stated in the deed.

So, if the buyers knowingly accepted title without the box having been moved, your obligations are ended.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!