I have a well written will but would like to just strike our…

Customer Question
I have a well...

I have a well written will but would like to just strike our one paragraph. Should I draw lines through it , initial or sign it (with witnesses) or do I have to write a codicil? would a codicil have to be signed and notarized?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Do not understand. I have a well written will that is notarized. The paragraph simply says that one of my children is to received a stated amount less than the others. I want to eliminate that and thus make them all equal.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/22/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. You'll need to do a Codicil, but that's a pretty simple process. In the Codicil, you can reference your original will, state that other than the changes in the Codicil all terms and provisions of the original will remain in full force and effect, and then specify which provisions of the original will are being changed. You will want to have the Codicil signed, witnessed, and notarized in the same format as the original will. Then, make sure you keep the Codicil with the original will so whoever gets your will at your death will know the Codicil exists. You can do this yourself or you can seek the guidance of a lawyer, but you are not obligated to engage a lawyer to do this for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!