RENTAL PROPERTIES ASKING FOR PROVE OF INCOME 3 TIMES THE…

Customer Question
RENTAL PROPERTIES ASKING FOR...

RENTAL PROPERTIES ASKING FOR PROVE OF INCOME 3 TIMES THE RENT, IS IT THIS DISCRIMINATION?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

ORLANDO FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I AM 82 Y/O ON SOCIAL SECURITY

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/22/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Unfortunately, no, requiring proof of financial ability to pay the rent is not, in and of itself illegal, or even discriminatory.

However, if it is used in a discriminatory manner that would be illegal. For example, if only black applicants, or single women, were required show proof of income, that would be illegal and you could file a compalit for violation of the Fair Housing Act.

However, is proof of income is required of all applicants then there is no claim to make.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.