In the state of Michigan if a person can pay back an

Customer Question
In the state of...

In the state of Michigan if a person can pay back an embezzlement on a finding and the victim had or does file charges is there a way to have them stopped

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of at the moment

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/22/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. This is a crime against the State of Michigan. As such, if charges are filed, it would be at the discretion of the State to proceed and prosecute or dismiss the charge, depending on the victim and their cooperation. I say this because if the victim reported this and charges were filed, the State does not have to dismiss this just because restitution is being made. That would be part of the sentence imposed, if convicted, so it is not a legal basis to just dismiss this. Now, the State can speak with the victim and consider their wishes and look into this and decide to dismiss it but it is not something that is automatic. The victim would need to speak with the State, try and sign a waiver of prosecution or put something on the record to indicate an agreement and desire to not go forward and let the State decide thereafter.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!