Difference between co-signer and guarantor on a lease.

Customer Question
Difference between co-signer and...

Difference between co-signer and guarantor on a lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Chicago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
9/22/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

There is no practical difference other than the fact that a co-signer will often also be a tenant while a guarantor is normally just someone who is saying that if the prime tenant doesn't honor their financial obligations, the landlord can come after the guarantor.

.

Guarantors are often parents, while co-signers are most often other tenants. But both are entirely liable for the debt if the primary tenant defaults..

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Is there the same liability for co-signer vs guarantor? I don't mean for the rent payment but for any damages to the property?

Yes, they are both entirely liable if the primary tenant defaults financially or causes damages... So different terms, but same liability.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much