Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need advice as to what kind of lawyer I need. Arizona. How

Hello
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I need advice as to what kind of lawyer I need
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Arizona
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is this free
JA: The Lawyers require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: how much is it
what can I answer for you?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My wife works for a very large insurance company. This may be a frivolous lawsuit but I think I may have something. My wife went on a business trip and her company requested she share a room with a coworker to save the company money. When they got to the hotel it was a single bed. My wife slept with this woman who is her friend but come to find out her friend is gay. My thought is there should be some sort of policy against this. This has caused me to file for divorce and my 5 year old son is going to be traumatized because of the divorce. there more to it than this. I believe there was also an inappropriate relationship going on at work, and the company policies did not prevent this from happening
I am sorry this happened. I do not see a claim you have against the company. Your wife may have a weak one for not providing suitable sleeping arrangement but no direct financial loss. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I was expecting a phone call that never happened. I suspect my wife was seduced by a female coworker. That co worker manipulated her, then the large company sets up a business trip. To save money the company wants people to share a room. Then when they get to the hotel she finds that all they have is a room with a single bed in it. I don't have a case?? Wow... I'm getting divorce over this and my kids life has taken a drastic turn from its trajectory just a few months ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR and I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It sounds actually like you are not getting the full truth. An employer can provide that employees of the same sex must share rooms on company trips to save company funds, there is nothing illegal about that. However, the part about the single bed is not the employer's fault and where I suspect you may not have the full story. First off, as someone who travels every single week for business, I have been in hundreds of hotels and never once had a hotel that would not provide AT LEAST a roll away bed if they did not have any more double rooms. Second, the employer did not make them share a single bed. Third, your spouse certainly had the freedom to choose in this situation as well. So something you are being told is not the full truth, but legally it does not come down to the employer's fault that the employer can be sued over.

Furthermore, Arizona does not recognize alienation of affection suits and specifically prohibits them, so there is nobody you can sue, even the co-worker, for causing the dissolution of your marriage I am sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
What about it that woman is gay and she is gay. I can't believe there is nothing there on this one How could I make waves for them at the company even if it went no where? I know its a stretch but I need may need to stretch it. I also appreciate what you are saying.

Thank you for your reply.

There is nothing on this one. A company cannot discriminate based on age/race/sex/disability/national origin, but AZ has no law, and neither does the federal law, prohibiting discrimination based on sexual preference. So your wife could have refused based on the sexual preference of the co-worker to share the room and your wife could have gotten a separate room and fought the company to pay or a roll away bed with no added costs.

This is not a "stretch" legally, the AZ law is pretty concrete on this issue, not a grey area where you can play with the law.

The company is simply not liable for this action committed by the employees in this situation.

At the company, you could report it to the company if they have a rule against employees having sexual relationships and then it is up to the company to deal with in accordance to their policies.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I feel I am getting good advice. Thank you. I will leave you 5 stars. A few questions. If I contact the HR department what are some key words that I should use to ensure it doesn't immediately get pitched in a circular file. I have evidence that that is an inappropriate relationship going on at work and this whole buinsess trip thing was the icing on the cake. That being said I understand I may not have anything legally but am myself and my son are very scorn because of the lack of controls and policies at there place of business. How do I insure it gets investigate? It is a very conservative company and I would think at a minimum there would be company wide HR policy changes over this. Also, how do I protect myself if she comes after me with defamation or slander. I have screen shot evidence from her computer and I am not fabricating anything.

Thank you for your reply.
All you can say is that two of their employees are involved in a intimate relationship with one another and it is occurring when they travel on business. You cannot tell them much more than that and you do not insure it is investigated, because the company will not tell you.

All you can do is file the complaint, then pursue your divorce and seek to move on with your life and your son's life and not dwell on it, because the more you dwell on it the worse it makes it for you and your son emotionally. That is from experience with many clients. The ones who to the best are the ones who are able to file the divorce and move forward and not dwelling on the past.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Appreciate the advice. I'm moving on and have accepted this. I don't like it but really I'm ok with it. I want to use this as leverage to get what I want as far as custody and property. And actually was hoping I could possibly get a little money with it but I understand that. Any last pieces of advice?

Thank you for your reply.

You should be hoping to get custody of the child to help him get over this and not grow up with any hate or resentment against anyone. If you get custody, you would be entitled to child support as well. You can also seek the house as part of the divorce. So getting a good divorce attorney now and get moving in that direction is the best thing you can do.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I'm in the process I have filed but Arizona is a 50/50 state so I have a bit of a battle ahead of me. I absolutely have my sons best interest in mind. One last question does it mater legally If the companies home office is in Illinois and that they operate in all 50 states, or the business trip was to California?

Thank you for your reply.

It does not matter what states they operate in, this is in Arizona, so you would have to go by AZ laws. AZ and every state starts with the presumption that custody will be shared 50/50, but her conduct can be basis for you to get at least joint custody with primary physical custody to you (that means while you both may have joint decision authority, the child lives with you primarily).