I had a motorcycle accident in Nova Scotia The medical bills…

Customer Question
I had a motorcycle...

I had a motorcycle accident in Nova Scotia The medical bills total $70000+-. Can they enforce these debts or can a lawyer negotiate a settlement/

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Official residence if FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have received invoices. and there was a Canadian accident report.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this point

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/21/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, if they sue you they can sue you in the US, since you reside in the US and would be able to get a judgment in the US even if the accident happened in Canada. Once they get a judgment in FL, they could actually file with FL DMV to suspend your license based on the accident and unpaid debt from the accident. They could garnish your wages unless you are a head of household in FL and they could seize bank accounts or place liens on property you own.

So at this point, you can and should consider negotiating some settlement with them to keep them from coming to FL and filing because it could cause you many other legal ramifications other than the payments due them, such as license issues for you not having insurance.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.