Good. Ohio. Not yet. I was working for employer TCS and its…

Customer Question
Ohio Lawyer's Assistant: Has...

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

HelloI was working for employer TCS and its client.on my final day at TCS I happen to transfer content of a folder (on my client laptop) that has few files. I transferred them by emailing from my client email to my gmail without knowing the detailed content of the folders properly. I intended to use for my reference purpose only. Later this activity was discovered by client and I was asked by client to take actions to mitigate. I complied to their demands and deleted those files permanently. TCS also reached out to me
seeking the same, I provided them the written letter explaining the situation.Please take a look at mail from client and my response to them. Also see my response letter to TCS.Now TCS has come back with a affidavit (attached here) for me to sign. They are asking me to agree under oath. I am scared now. I have deleted all the files and
therefore I am no longer in possession of any of those documents. I am scared that TCS will use this affidavit against me legally.Kindly take a look at my situation and advise.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/21/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Where is the affidavit?

Hello
I am attaching the files here. Please take a look.

Thank you for our reply.

You have committed a serious data breach, especially given the hacking at equifax. So they are demanding the affidavit to commit you under oath that you have deleted/destroyed all of the information you downloaded illegally from them. If you do not sign, they can sue you and even file criminal charges against you for taking their confidential information. So at this point you have no real choice unless you plan on fighting them in court.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Hi
"You have committed a serious data breach, especially given the hacking at equifax" -- Can you elaborate this. Also I didn't knew the content and I don't re-collect as I never opened them. Now if I agree wouldn't they sue me?

Thank you for your reply.

You took confidential records, intentionally downloading records you know belonged to TCS and not you, regardless of whether you knew the file contents at the time you downloaded them or not So, if you do not sign, they will sue you for damages and for computer hacking and they could turn it over to the police as well. They can make this into a much bigger deal than it is right now if you do not comply.

I would contact TCS and ask for an agreement not to prosecute and tell them you will agree to sign the affidavit. However, if they tell you they will not give that to you, then you can roll the dice telling them you will not sign and risk they will pursue criminal and civil claims against you.

I agree that I did this stupid mistake. But if I sign the affidavit then they can still sue me and my chances of defending will get even slimmer. your thoughts please.

Thank you for your reply.

Even if you do not sign it they can pursue you and they have the computer tracking history to show you did it, so your admission one way or another is not going to make your defense weaker. They have the proof it was you and they have the letter you wrote apologizing already, so they have everything they need should they choose to prosecute you or sue you. The affidavit is protection for them making sure you swear under penalty of perjury you disposed of the files and have not shared them.

I agree that I am at the mercy of them already but I am worried that they are slowly bringing me under law as criminal by making me agree for mistake under oath. I have deleted all the files. I have made a video of it also as a proof of deletion.
what's the best way out of it for me without harming my career and life?Also you mentioned "The affidavit is protection for them making sure you swear under penalty of perjury you disposed of the files and have not shared them" -- protection of TCS from whom? please elaborate this

Thank you for your reply.

TCS protection from any customer whose information was compromised that you stole. You committed a crime, you do not understand that it seems. You then sent them a letter already admitting to committing the crime, which is confirmed by their computer tracking history.

So you need to sign the affidavit swearing you did not share it and destroyed it and move on. If they were going to charge you or sue you, they would be doing it without the affidavit, because you already admitted to doing so. Now they just want you to swear you deleted it and if you do not, they will likely sue you.

One question... in the affidavit letter, if you see at the top, there is "Attorney work Product" and "Internal use only" -- does this mean this document is legal (meaning if its from law/ attorney department) ?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it means it is from their company legal department and it says they can use it for internal purposes only.

Hi ... One final question...Since I have deleted all the files completely and permanently and If I sign this affidavit and go through the investigation process, what the probability that they won't put charges on me after they find all files are deleted .. Please advise

Honestly, the chances of them not pursuing any charges are VERY GOOD because they do not want the publicity and if they pursue charges that means they have to go public with the data breach.

So if you sign, chances are it goes away completely.