I filed a small claims case against a destructive contractor…

Customer Question
I filed a small...

I filed a small claims case against a destructive contractor and received a 5k settlement. He paid $100. of a two hundred dollar 5 mos. ago then stopped payment. How do I seek legal settlement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I filed in Angelina small claims court, judge Ball signed the agreement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Angelina Country Lufkin Tx.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This has dragged out for almost a year.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/21/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Now that you have a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor and can have the sheriff serve a summons on the contractor for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet the you in court and answer questions under oath about the his assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to attach bank accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other property (other than his homestead, which is exempt in Texas) to satisfy the judgment.