I have a client that did not pay for a roof I did .they owe…

Customer Question
I have a client...

I have a client that did not pay for a roof I did .they owe me 4000 for the job

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Fl

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No BC we where trying to give them the chance of paying .they get trust money

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We just want our money

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/21/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 11 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If they are failing to pay, you can file a lawsuit against them to collect or go so far as file a mechanics lien, against the property. Once you have determined that you have the right to file a claim of lien, you must serve notice to the owner. The Notice to Owner is a form that establishes the right of a potential lienor to file a claim of lien. Under Florida Statutes, all contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and laborers who do not have a direct contract with the owner must serve notice to the property owners and general contractors within 45 days of providing lienable services, materials, or labor in order to preserve their lien rights. To serve this notice, the property owner and/or general contractor must receive a copy of the form either by delivering the form in person, or through certified USPS mail or overnight/express delivery, and requiring signature upon receipt. A claim of lien must be recorded with the proper recording office within 90 days of the final delivery of lienable services, materials, or labor for the construction project. Florida is very strict with the timeline of recording a claim of lien. If the claim of lien is not recorded within 90 days, the lien will be rendered null and void. If you are unsure of or not familiar with the deadlines mandated by Florida’s law, then it is wise to consult an attorney. Florida’s law requires the lienor to serve a copy of the claim of lien to the property owner either before record of the claim or within 15 days of recording. If a copy of the claim is not provided to the property owner within this time frame, per F.S. § 713.08(4)(c), the lien will be rendered voidable. The recorded claim of lien can be served in person, by registered or certified mail, or overnight delivery with record of receipt, or by posting the claim on the premises.

how do i start a law suit

It starts with the filing of a summons and a complaint. Based upon the amount, it likely can be filed in small claims court but if this is a company, you would need an attorney to file on your behalf and recover the attorney fees, if you prevail.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.