I recently had a trustee summons filed aginst me and they…

Customer Question
Hi, I recently had...

Hi, I recently had a trustee summons filed aginst me and they froze my checking and savings accounts . Do I need a lawyer to fight this

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

What would be filed? or reported?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/21/2017
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Everyone has the right to represent themselves in court. Not everyone can successfully accomplish such representation. I have been answering questions at Justanswer for more than nine years. During that time, I have assisted hundreds of people represent themselves in court. Where a case is heard in small claims, or in family court, and the other party is not a lawyer and is representing themselves, people are on a level playing field, and self representation is possible.

However, where large amounts of money is at stake, a person's life or liberty is on the line, or where a person is opposed by a lawyer representing the other party, it is my experience that a self represented person is practically guaranteed to lose. The reasons are many -- but, they don't really matter. Statistically, my experience is that about 1 person in 10,000 can prevail over a professional attorney in court.

So, the question is, are you that person? Only you can answer the question. But, if you're asking me (and you are), my answer must be that you should hire legal representation, because if you don't, it is overwhelmingly likely that you will lose this case.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!