I don't know if it is reasonable about my move-out statement…

Customer Question
I don't know if it...
I don't know if it is reasonable about my move-out statement
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi, I just got the move out statement from my previous apartment. At first they charge me more than $1700 dollars for the damage. After negotiate with them there's no proof shows I have damage to the Vinyl so I got $900 back. But I thought their bill is still unreasonable. I have 2 questions about that: 1. on the move-out statement I received there is no charge for the bath tub and the kitchen sink replacement, but today when we are checking the pictures, they said they are supposed to charge that but they waive it already. I'm afraid if I keep asking them or go to the small claim court, will they add those charges on the bill??? 2. The wall and the stain on the carpet it is just normal use, not damage, I think the leasing company they need to do the painting and cleaning by themselves, not me. Could you give me your suggestions? Thanks
They charge $249.75 for the Carpet they said they cannot clean the stain on the carpet so they have to charge that. And they charge $223 for the full painting and $195 for the kitchen counter resurfacing and $110 for cleaning. If you need pictures I can forward the picture to you.
9/21/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

How is a stain on the carpet normal wear and tear? Also what do you mean the wall is normal use? What was the damage to the wall?

These 3 pictures shows the damage to the wall, some dark spot on the way but I think that's normal use not by us.
This is the stain on the carpet, for me it us very tiny and I thought they can clean it instead of replace it. They said they will replace it and it takes more than 1000 dollars but they only charge me 240 dollars.
This is the kitchen counter needs resurfacing they charge 195 dollars..

Thank you for your reply.

The damage you are showing appears to be caused by rubbing against the walls and some chipping as well, which would be damage that they can charge you for. I cannot tell if the carpet stains are from spills or walking or if they were there when you moved in. So you can challenge the stain, but the wall painting they can charge you for based on the conditions of the walls in your pictures.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

How about my first question, they didn't charge for the bath tub and kitchen sink for replacement on the bill they gave me, are they allowed to charge for that in the future? Or they cannot charge for that after 21 days after I moving out. And also do you think the price they charge for the kitchen counter resurfacing is reasonable?

Thank you for your reply.

It is up to them what to charge for if they can prove it was not ordinary wear and tear. If they do not charge you for everything in one notice, they can come back and sue separately later within 2 years of the damage. They would have to prove you actually caused the damage.

Do they have their responsibility to maintain the apartment facility if we just use it and it is normal use, like some dark stain on the carpet or the wall?
I think some thing seems dirty it is because it is already very old not because we do damage to them so I'm not sure if we can negotiate with them.

thank you for your reply.

They have a duty to perform routine maintenance, but if you caused some stain on the wall or carpet (they do not just miraculously appear) then they can still hold you liable. If you did not do any such damage, then you can dispute the charges.