Daughter moved into a beautiful complex in San Diego. Below…

Customer Question
Daughter moved into a...

Daughter moved into a beautiful complex in San Diego. Below her, at the same time as move in, was a family of 3. Since then, they had illegally added a woman with 5 kids - yes, it's a nightmare. Complex tells daughter, they have to 'see' the other people and she (daughter) has to call security off hours, and document before they can do anything. Ok, it's been 2 months, very high rent is being paid, and not enough action to evict - this is a 1 bedroom apt that 9 people are living in! She feels they are not acting swiftly and she's miserable. What can she do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

CA, she lives in San Diego.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, she has been reporting for 1 1/2 months since she moved in; they did send one letter, but they say they have to 'see' the others with their own eyes....

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, we just want to know what her rights are, it seems like they are so concerned with protecting the other lease people who have the 6 illegally living there.... ok

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/21/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Michael Bradley
If the landlord will not do anything then I would call the city code enforcement office to complain. There is no way that it is legal for that many people living in such a small unit.
I didn't add that these people are so noisy, with unusual banging at all hours, they seem to be savvy enough to know when security comes around. I am going to speak with them tomorrow in person, I would like to know a couple of things:
1. If she moves into a different unit, can't we make them pay for the movers?
2. Who is the city code people that I can throw out there, so they at least think I know what I'm talking about.
You can try to sue them in small claims court for the cost of moving but I do not know nor could I guarantee that an action such as that would be successful.
Below is the website for code enforcement for San Diego. This page explains everything that you need to Lodge a complaint.
https://www.sandiego.gov/ced/report
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

can I assist you further?

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer