Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My brother in law has a business that he ran into the ground

My brother in law has a business that he ran into the ground but he still maintains ownership of the building and equipment. The business owes no more debt but he has become hospitalized and he will not have the money to pay the hospital bills. If he sells the business to a family member can the hospital still seize the business as part of the collection process or sue the family member who bought it? Im guessing no but I'm not a lawyer and don't want to be stuck paying his debt
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not that i know of , they consider him indigent
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i think that says it all

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

If he sells the business to a family member can the hospital still seize the business as part of the collection process or sue the family member who bought it? Im guessing no

.

You are correct. As long as he sells for what looks like fair market value, or close to it, and it doesn't look like a sham sale to avoid creditors, then no, the creditors wouldn't have any legal grounds to try and unravel the sale. They could try to come after any money that he received from the sale, but that is between him and his creditors.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Great! Thanks Barrister