What happens if you surrender an engagement ring with unpaid…

Customer Question
What happens if you...

What happens if you surrender an engagement ring with unpaid balance of $7700?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Legal
9/20/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Do you mean returning it to the seller?

Jarred's jewelers

Thank you; I'm sorry your engagement did not work out.

It depends on the terms of the purchase.

If a store has a limited or outright ban on returns, that notice must be prominently displayed at the store; please see:

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/refunds

Here is that statute:

1723.

(a) Every retail seller which sells goods to the public in this state that has a policy as to any of those goods of not giving full cash or credit refunds, or of not allowing equal exchanges, or any combination thereof, for at least seven days following purchase of the goods if they are returned and proof of their purchase is presented, shall conspicuously display that policy either on signs posted at each cash register and sales counter, at each public entrance, on tags attached to each item sold under that policy, or on the retail seller’s order forms, if any. This display shall state the store’s policy, including, but not limited to, whether cash refund, store credit, or exchanges will be given for the full amount of the purchase price; the applicable time period; the types of merchandise which are covered by the policy; and any other conditions which govern the refund, credit, or exchange of merchandise.

(b) This section does not apply to food, plants, flowers, perishable goods, goods marked “as is,” “no returns accepted,” “all sales final,” or with similar language, goods used or damaged after purchase, customized goods received as ordered, goods not returned with their original package, and goods which cannot be resold due to health considerations.

(c) (1) Any retail store which violates this section shall be liable to the buyer for the amount of the purchase if the buyer returns, or attempts to return, the purchased goods on or before the 30th day after their purchase.

(2) Violations of this section shall be subject to the remedies provided in the Consumers Legal Remedies Act (Title 1.5 (commencing with Section 1750) of Part 4).

(3) The duties, rights, and remedies provided in this section are in addition to any other duties, rights, and remedies provided by state law.

(Added by Stats. 1990, Ch. 422, Sec. 2.)

This does not apply to custom goods, though (so if the ring was customized).

This is what is on the website as to returns:

http://www.jared.com/ContentView?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=10451&cmsId=returns_exchanges

So if it is past the time frame or the ring was used or customized, then unfortunately it is at the discretion of the seller as to whether they will buy back the ring and if so at what price.

Any agreement should be in writing to protect the buyer.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Jarred's has agreed to take back the ring and give her zero balance. The manager told her there would be 'a small ding' on her credit. How does this affect her credit score if she surrenders the ring?

A surrender is similar to a repossession as it indicates a bill was not paid.

Please see here

So unfortunately it tends to harm one's credit score significantly - it is impossible to predict how much because it varies based on one's particular credit history.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: