I have been given some gift certificates that were purchased…

Customer Question
I have been given...

I have been given some gift certificates that were purchased at some nail salons/ spa, etc. They have expirations dates on them. However, I have been told that the place of business has to accept them. so, in other words they really cant have an expiration date. Is that true? thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Do you mean was I denied being able to use them and then maybe I contacted the attorney generals office or attorney or something? If that is what you are asking then no. I just called one of the salon's and she told me it was expired and they would not accept it. Which seems like that could not be true because people paid them good money for these. and I would think they need to refund it or accept it. But, I just don't really know.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Pursuant to Texas Business & Commerce Code Ann. §604.101

An expiration date or policy, fee, or other material restriction or contract term applicable to a stored value card must be clearly and conspicuously disclosed at the time the card is sold or issued to a person to enable the person to make an informed decision before purchasing the card.

So, it is legal to have an expiration date which complies with the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure (CARD) Act stating that gift cards cannot expire within five years from the date they were activated and generally limits inactivity fee on gift cards except in certain circumstances, such as if there has been no transaction for at least 12 months.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

Loren, Attorney