I am in a fix. I loaned my car to an individual and he

Customer Question
I am in a...

I am in a fix. I loaned my car to an individual and he purported that he was arrested on warrants and that he would be released in 6 to 10 hours. Twelve days have passed and no car! It's the contention of the S.A. police that I loaned vehicle, therefore it becomes a civil matter involving a demand letter. I took it upon myself to contact a website that refers individuals to law a law firm by the name of Michael Vann here in S.A. I contacted this firm and despite they handle civil matters (demand letter), they have now told me "they can' help me." They say it is a criminal matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

The individual who has possession of my vehicle has no mailing address but does have a cell phone (don't know #), and a DOT license. I attempted to upgrade my car insurance but was unsuccessful because agency had to see car. I am aware of where this guy sometimes sleeps but it is chance that I will encounter him, As stated earlier, he has no address. What to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes----did I not state this in the body of my message?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,'

This is attorney Bill offering assistance to your legal question today.

Theoretically it is both a civil and a criminal matter.

Criminally it becomes theft by conversion for failure to return your car upon demand.

The difficulty is that law enforcement needs evidence of your demand for return which can be produced by yourself by writing a letter to the individual demanding its return.

They could then press charges under the theft/conversion statute.

You can also bring a civil action by suing in civil court and requesting the return of your car in form of a preliminary injunction once you have started your civil bill and complaint.

You aren't obliged to hire an attorney but can proceed pro se or find another attorney who will pursue your claim.

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me as you may require.

In return I ask you to rate positively before exiting today.

This give me a credit for my time and assistance to you.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill