A lawyer is sending my daughter questions using statues

Customer Question
A lawyer is sending...

A lawyer is sending my daughter questions using statues 804.08 and 804.01. Doesn't it need to be signed by a DA or Judge to make it official?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Don't know what you mean? Boyfriends attorney sent letter to my daughter's attorney. My daughter broke up with him. Not married. Been together 20 years.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 10 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. To be clear, is this a criminal matter or civil? That is, why would the DA be signing it?

I'm not sure what her boyfriend is up to. I guess that would be a civil matter.

Has a lawsuit or some other case been filed?

This is just a breakup. They have 2 children. My daughter has a business.

I see. Thank you. I wanted to make certain. These provisions refer to "Interrogatories" and "General Discovery". If there's an open lawsuit against her that she has answered (which she should if there's such a case) then these are normal discovery requests, and NOT required to be signed by a judge, clerk (and certainly not a DA, because the DA is only concerned about criminal matters). The parties can send discovery requests and even demands to each other without the judge getting involved. Only if a party refuses to answer or otherwise obfuscates in the answer process would the party seeking the information file a "motion to compel" asking the court to order the answering / production of the information.

In short, your daughter should answer these if at all possible. It's not a valid objection that it's not signed by a judge, because at this point in time they never are actually signed by anyone other than the other party.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~1 hour now with you in this chat) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.