Our name is & P. My husband has receive a inheritance from…

Customer Question
Hi Our name is Alicia &...
Hi
Our name is Alicia & Fred P.
My husband has receive a inheritance from his aunt who is a Canadian resident possible born & raise there. He receive in two checks sum total of 12,000.00 There were 19 cousin each receive the same amount. Two cousins live and born in the United states. Fred is one of them born in USA.
His aunt's attorney sent the two checks in Canadian currency.
If we deposit the check we will lose a bit over 2,000.00 dollars. We feel the lawyer should of sent the money in USA currency check.
Please let us know what we can do ? Why should he lose 2,000.00.
Should the attorney send us new checks in USA currency. Our # is(###) ###-####
We hope you can help us in this matter.
Kindly
Mr & Mrs Petersen
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Why would you lose $2000? Is this because of the exchange rate? Or because of fees?

Because of being Canadian money.

So the exchange rate between the Canadian dollar and US dollar?

In other words, the $12,000 Canadian dollars equaled $10,000 US dollars?

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Unfortunately, your location is irrelevant. What is relevant is the equal amount everyone receives, in whatever currency.

The location of the estate is what matters. Each of the beneficiaries of the estate received the same amount of money—the equivalent of $12,000 Canadian dollars, regardless of the exchange rate. If you had received $12,000 US dollars, then you would have received MORE than every one else. That is not what the decedent wanted.

Everyone got the equivalent of $10,000 US dollars ($12,000 Canadian dollars). They did not get more, you did not get less. The exchange rate just makes it seem like they did. But that is not going to change the inheritance amount you receive.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Now, I just call a royal savings bank in Chicago, IL She said their are fees for sending the check out which would take longer to clear. She also said the amount on the checks would not change We will only pay the fees for sending them out to clear. Sounds better. But still not sure. Question I still would like answer. The checks that Fred receive couldn't have been sent in check For american currency mark USD . We wouldn't have to pay fees or exchange rate. I know about the Rate Exchange. Am I missing something here.

Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: They can write you the checks in USD if they choose to. But they are not required to do so. Again, the estate is in Canada. Therefore, the beneficiaries are entitled to Canadian dollars. All you can do is ask them to send you a check in USD, after the conversion. They may not want to do that in order to avoid paying fees on their side. If they don't want to do it, unfortunately, you can't force them to.

Please do not forget that positive rating.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer