ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I own a small business in Colorado Springs, Co. I was

I own a small business in Colorado Springs, Co. I was contacted by Labor and Unemployemnt today. I was told they would like to "investigate" my business. I'm thinking I may need some legal advice/ a lawyer.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The investigator was not very forthcoming with me. I think this must be a former employee or two, who filed a complaint.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, that I have received a phone call, but have not provided any information or had any official meeting.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. To be clear, do you have any reason that you feel that you might be investigated for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I presume it is a former employee. The reason for the presumption is that the Department and Unemployemnt Agent (John) called our Business Cellphone, which only our clients and employees have. The Agent was not very fourth coming with me. He only wanted to set-up an appointment to meet, so he could review our recent payroll records. He mentioned he would eventually look to speak with current employees and former employees.

I see. And you have the agent's number?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do. He was very demanding. I feel like I'm being bullied here a bit. The state of our business is that it is less than 10 employees. A true "Mom and Pop," that my wife and I run out of our Home. We are a service based company (security guards). This Departement and Unemployement Agent is seemingly going to intrude on ALL that we do. We are also a disabled veteran owned business, I'm not sure if that counts for anything. My gut tells me we have more rights than this. The requirement that are currently being proposed are pretty ridiculous. My wife and I are scheduled to come into their field office in Colorado Springs Oct. 2nd at 9:30a.

I see. And when you say you're "scheduled", that means that you agreed to show up at that time? Or have you been "ordered" to show up at that time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems like more of an order. I have not officially agreed to anything. I told the Agent when I could be available next, which is the October 2nd date, but I have not confirmed. He sent me an email 5 minutes ago to confirm. We are a private security company, the privacy of our clients and current employees is paramount to us. This agent is stating he will need to interview our employees on location, as they work. This is an impossibility. Again, I feel like this is a ridiculous proposition, I want to be sure I'm speaking to this agent from the right forum or with the right information about my rights in this.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will only agree to what "I must do," I want to ensure I do nothing more. Additionally, I want to ensure I understand the repercussions of my not cooperating with this and or how much must I cooperate. I would prefer to not cooperate at all, but seeing as how this is the Department of Labor and Unemployement, I'm sure I have to agree to something here.

Thank you for that. Yes, I would contact him and ask him more specifically what this is about so that you can better prepare to answer his questions and alleviate any concerns that he might have. Tell him that without some sort of specific order from a court, etc... that you know you don't have to do anything, but you'd rather it not actually get to that point, and would rather get some additional information from him so that you can work out whatever issue you have with him.

Now hopefully that will make him work with you, but if not, I would say that you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with employment law cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next. It'd be really easy to accidentally say something to him, especially if you don't know what he's looking for in the first place, that would implicate you. So you want to be careful about that and only talk if you can have a better understanding of what he's looking for in the first place.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Scotty. That helps a lot. I will respond to the current email and await a response from him.

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!