I am closing escrow on my business and some liens that are…

Customer Question
I am closing escrow...

I am closing escrow on my business and some liens that are on it have been terminated however the escrow company insist that they get a letter from the company themselves to make sure the termination is correct and no money is due. Also to confirm that they did file the UCC termination. This is frustrating because the company sent and email stating that this was a confirmation and does not want to send a letter, etc. What can I do, is this legal from the escrow to do that? Will this hold up escrow and my money?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Los Angeles, CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes everything has been filed with the UCC connect and the termination has been filed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, the companies that hold the liens need to submit the proper lien release documents and if they are refusing to do so you have the right to sue the company for not only the removal of the lien but ALSO for costs and attorney's fees as well. Legally they MUST remove the liens officially and if they do not they can be sued and you need to inform them of that in writing. If they still refuse and you take them to court, they will have to pay all of your damages and your expenses as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

The companies have submitted the proper paperwork and have terminated the lien. It is the Escrow company that is demanding to get more proof that the lien has been terminated. The companies did their part but this Escrow company is gong a step further.

There is no more proof needed, if they have submitted the lien release paperwork required you need to tell the escrow company that if they do not complete the transaction you will hold them liable for holding up this transaction when there is no other legal thing the lienholders need to do. If they refuse you can sue the escrow company for damages and breach of contract for demanding documents that are not available.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney