How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5270
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance is on misdeamenor probation and his court

This answer was rated:

My fiance is on misdeamenor probation and his court supervision is being transferred to Bexar county. He does not have the information to provide proof of residence because he is a felon and can not be on my lease. He has used his family members address as a permanent mailing address. I don't want for him to use my address because I'm renting and I don't want it to affect my lease. If he did use my address for his residence would they visit my leasing office or would they just need to know where he is staying to check on him?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: This is Texas. His case is being transferred from Hays County to Bexar County (in San Antonio) and it's for using the bathroom outside. I can not think of the legal term at this moment. He had an option of 18 days in jail or 18 months probation and I believe because of his extensive criminal past they through the book at him.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i'm just wanting to know what is the best thing to do prior to him meeting with his intake specialist tomorrow. what should we do about his residence and proof of employment. at this time he does day labor and works for family friends and members of the church but not for a particular company due to his criminal past. how would we go about presenting this information to the intake specialist.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, The court is only going to want to know where the individual lives so that way it can ensure that documents sent are certain to reach them. There is a highly unlikely chance that your leasing office or landlord would ever find out about his legal proceeding. In addition, it would be a breach of contract for them to terminate your lease simply because he put down that particular address. If your place is where he lays his head at night, my recommendation would be to have him put that address down. Because the court works through the mail system, the landlord should never even find out he’s dealing with this issue.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you don't believe that the probation officer would contact my leasing office directly? Because he is not on the lease. He can not be on the lease due to his criminal past.

They only reason they would need to contact the leasing office is if they cannot find him. And plus, if he is not on the lease, then they wouldn't have anything to tell them anyway. So long as he communicates with them and stays responsible, then he will be fine:-)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If he states that he's homeless. What are the consequences to this?

Well, it wouldn't be illegal to be homeless unless he's required to find some regular housing consistent with an order of probation. Otherwise, the issues will be practical in nature in that the court nor his probation officer will know where to find him and they may go to the address of any associates (you) to find him.

Legal Eagle and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you.

It's my pleasure and best of luck!