How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 17097
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question has to do with 1st Report of Injury in MN. We

This answer was rated:

my question has to do with 1st Report of Injury in MN. We have a contract person working for us - not an employee. He cut his finger and has already reported it to his employer - but since he is here - do we still need him to fill out the 1st Report of Injury?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MN
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Contract
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. No, you don't have to fill this out. If it's a contractor, it's not your employee. An Independent Contractor is not covered by the Workers’ Compensation Act. An independent contractor is a person who is defined by Minn. Rules 5224.0010 through 5224.0340. See Minn. Stat. § 176.041 subd. 1(1). These rules cover 34 specific occupations, and also provide general criteria for non-specified occupations. A primary factor to consider in making this determination is whether the putative employer exercised control, or had the right to exercise control over the means and manner of doing the job.

The employer has a duty to fill out the First Report of Injury (FROI), as part of the workers compensation case for an employee. You're not the employer, and so you have no obligation to fill it out.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

ScottyMacEsq and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you! That's what I needed to know! That's all I had. Thanks a bunch!

You're welcome, and again, good luck to you!