I have a neighbor who has filed a false domestic violence…

I have a neighbor...

I have a neighbor who has filed a false domestic violence report against me in retaliation for my filing a complaint with Animal Control because he refuses to leash his dog.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A police officer came to my home to discuss the report from my neighbor. I have requested a copy of the report from the officer but he has not responded.

9/20/2017
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Can you share with me what your question is?

I need to know how to obtain a copy of this report and repudiate it, also what my options are for the false reporting by this neighbor.

Thank you for the reply. Filing a false report is a crime, so if there is no evidence to support it, the police could charge her once they complete the investigation and show that she did this in an attempt to harass you and there was no basis to it. As far as the report goes, once it is filed, it should be a matter of record, so you could go to the station and request a copy of it. If action were to be taken based upon her report, is when you would defend this in court. Of course, for it to get that far, to where you need to defend it, there would have to be charges filed and if there is no evidence to support it, the case would be closed.

My concern is that now we are "targeted" by the police for domestic violence and it is a matter of record.

I do not necessarily think you are targeted. The police have an obligation to investigate all claims and see if there is a basis for them. In this case, the police should see that nothing happened AND this is a false report and you can speak with the Officer and ask if they would go after them, for the filing of it and charge them.

Supposedly there is a witness, I'm thinking it is one of his daughters (one is an arsonist and the other steals gnomes....taking them on vacations, photographing them and then returning them to the owner like a year later)
The police officer didn't appear to believe us and mentioned that he knew my neighbor as he used to be an ER doctor and remembered him from taking folks to his ER.

There could be a conflict with the investigation if that is the case and if so, this may be something that is flushed out and used, if this does get filed.

OK, I will attempt to get the report and try what you have suggested....guess we'll see what happens from there.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

You were very helpful. How do I contact you in the future?

You are very welcome. After you rate my help, you can simply come back to this page and I would be happy to answer any follow up questions related to this.

Do I need to leave this page open then?

You should be able to access it when you log back in. It should not be an issue getting back to it once you rate my help. If you are having problems, customer service can direct you back.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Great, thanks! Have a good day...