I am in dire need of your hope you can help. I am a time…

Customer Question
I am in dire...

I am in dire need of your hope you can help. I am a long time animal rescuer. Because of a prolonged illness I got fired. During this time, I could barely take care of myself or my cats
My neighbors complained and the building and health department showed up and told me I couldn’t live in my house until it was cleaned and sanitized. I moved into an extended stay hotel and had the entire building cleaned, old furniture removed, etc. I cleaned out my small 401k to pay for these services.
During the last several weeks, I have left numerous messages for the building department, but they never return my calls. I have been communicating through Arial, who works to help “community members at risk”.
On Thursday, August 30, I stopped at my house and saw all the back windows were wide open. I went to the building department office only to be told “no one was available”. On Monday, Bio One, the cleaning company I hired, called me to say someone was in the house and stole several items. Still, I can’t get in my house so I can file a police report. I thought it was the building department’s responsibility to keep my house safe.
Anyway, after 8 weeks, the building department (once again, this is being relayed through Aerial) is now saying I need a structural engineer to come in and assess all the floors in my house before I can move back in.
That report was done 7 weeks ago and despite all my calls and efforts, this was never communicated to me. With all the time and expense that has passed, I could have had this done.
In any case, I doubt the validity of the claim my floors are all bad. In 2012, I replaced the kitchen floor and underlayment. There were layers on my living room floor that were ripped up and we found a nice hardwood floor underneath. The person who did this work is willing to sign an affidavit that the hardwood floors need to be sanded and refinished, but they are in good shape.
I would like to have the inspection done, but I have such nebulous information, I don’t know where to begin. I have message for Chris Cotton a voice mail, but really don’t expect a reply. What do I have to do to get someone in this town to work with me?????? I finally got a job after 6 months of unemployment, so I am not able to meet in person.
I am 60 and can’t take much more.
Karen Pokorny
5003 W. 31st Street(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sure - Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All I know is they did an inspection and I can't get a copy of it or anyone to talk to me so I can resolve the problem...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
9/20/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I you have had all of this done and the building department will not allow you back into the house, you will now have to file suit against them in court for them not allowing you back into your property. Furthermore, if they condemned the property and sealed it, they were liable to keep your property secured and if they failed to do so, then as part of your suit against them you can seek damages from them for any damage they allowed to happen.

You are going to need a local attorney from your county to file suit against them for the damage and for a court order to return your property to your control.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney